Anti Lock Light comes on?

Buick Model Vehicle Information

Postby chioke » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:59 pm

I have a 1994 Buick Century, and I believe today my Anti Lock Light came on. What does that mean, and what should I do?
chioke

Postby tsubasa60 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

this has to deal with your anti-lock breaking system. make sure you have enough break fluid. just open the master cylinder cover and pour more in.
tsubasa60

Postby zadok55 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 pm

normally when the anti lock light comes on u have a short in the wiring harness of the abs sensor or wiring to the computer from the sensor.

Are you hearing any noise while driving normally around 45mph? If you do its normally a bad bearing and the sensor is attached to the wheel hub where the bearing is housed. Normally the same one that has a bad bearing is the one with the bad abs sensor.
zadok55

Postby brys71 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:26 pm

It means your ABS system detected a fault and needs to be repaired your brakes will still work fine but will not have the anti lock ability.
brys71

Postby indeever » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 pm

The posts by Joey and Andrew have no idea what's going on.

The ABS light comes on to warn you that the ABS system has failed it's self test and/or that the ABS computer cannot or does not work. The most common reason for the light coming on is the failure of one or more of the wheel speed sensors. Each wheel has a small sensor mounted on the spindle adjacent to a magnetic reluctor wheel. The sensor counts detects the passing magnetic poles and sends a signal to the ABS computer which controls the brakes and ensures the wheel never locks up while the vehicle is still moving.

Sensors can be damaged by hitting road debris r by a mechanic who is not careful when performing some vehicle service. They are not very expensive, say $30 - $40 each. The sensor's can also become unplugged from the wiring harness and/or the plug and jack can become corroded.

I've also seen situations where the ABS computer will be unreliable on older cars when the chassis ground becomes interrupted, often do to corrosion.

I'd take the car to a reputable mechanic. He'll figure out what's wrong by interrogating the ABS computer with a scan tool.

Astrobuf
indeever

Postby courtenay » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Does the cruise control work? There a couple causes for this system on this vehicle to illuminate the ABS light! And one that is common that people don't think about because they are not used to how this system works! The first thing to check on this vehicle is the CHMSL (center high mount stop lamp or better known as the 3rd brake light) this will flag a code # 95 and 96, The high mount stop lamp is inoperative, causing the ABS and cruise control to believe that the brake pedal is depressed all the time preventing normal operation. NOTE; The WSS (wheel speed sensors, are integral of the hub bearing assembly and serviced as the whole hub assembly)
courtenay

Return to Buick