97 Buick Lesabre 3800 series II: speedometer and fuel guage inop?

Buick Model Vehicle Information

Postby gwyddawg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:10 am

Just bought this car used at night, and didn't notice the speedometer was working. The fuel gauge also reads empty, but when you turn the key off the needle jumps to quarter of a tank then back to empty. I don't see the typical speedometer cable going into the firewall, does the speed come via electrical signals? Where could I start to troubleshoot at? All the fuses by the drivers feet are good. Also is there another fuse block elsewhere?
gwyddawg

Postby berowalt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:18 am

Since the dash cluster gauge assemblies are well know to develop bad or weak connections especially in their printed soldered circuit boards I'd highly recommend going to a U pull auto wreckers and trying to find perhaps a cluster assembly that was recently changed in a vehicle like yours.

The speed indicator gauge works via electronic speed sensor signals and unless the car drives or shifts funny and both the rpm and speed gauges are dead I'd not change any sensor I'd start with the cluster assembly first.

Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way the fuel gauge issue is probably the cluster too but it maybe be the float/sending unit or a combination of both problems, also sometimes giving the sending unit a solid brand new ground helps to fix such problems.
berowalt

Return to Buick