Can a car start with a bad alternator?

Buick Model Vehicle Information

Postby granville12 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:41 pm

I am going to go look at this 1986 Buick Regal tomorrow and it needs a battery and an alternator. If i bring a battery should it start at least or it wouldn't. And if it does would you be able to drive it or not?
granville12

Postby rashae » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:43 pm

With a good battery, it should start but I don't know how far you should drive it like that. If you do risk it, only use what needs to run electrically. Leave the AC and the radio off for an example.
rashae

Postby maynard » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes it should start and you can drive it, depending how charged the battery is and how far you are going. Do not use ANY electrical accessories, heater, AC radio, lights, etc. Good luck
maynard

Postby ehren » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:53 pm

You need to replace the alternator as well. The battery would eventually die and it's not worth getting stranded.
ehren

Postby chappy45 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:00 pm

A battery is only used to start the car. Once started everything is powered by the Alternator. Should the alternator go out you will run off your battery until it goes dead.

If you plan on driving it home with just battery power, do not turn on your radio, A/C or anything that requires power.

If you decide to purchase the car, I would just put down a small deposit; purchase an Alternator and then take it out for a ride to check it out.
chappy45

Return to Buick