Should Bosch spark plugs be as good as AC Delco?

Buick Model Vehicle Information

Postby millen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:31 pm

I went to a Midas shop to have spark plugs and wires installed on my 2000 Buick Century. I had the parts that included Bosch plugs. The shop manager said my car is meant for AC Delco plugs and he wouldn't install my plugs. I was quoted $135 to install my parts. It ended up costing me $195 since I had to buy the plugs there. Should my Bosch plugs have been as good as AC Delco or was the manager just trying to bring in more profit for him?
millen

Postby dubhgall43 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Manager was boosting his profits.

Now he could have been right but for a different reason. Did you bring in bosch platinum plugs? Those can cause issues in some cars, like fouling plugwires. The AC Declos could have been copper.
dubhgall43

Postby menassah » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:34 pm

You got conned. Spark plugs all work, cost, and fit the same, it's just all about brand preference. There are different upgrades of materials (platinum, iridium) but you can't go wrong with any of them. I don't know what to tell you except make some complaints, but you can't do much about this except not go back there and be a little more informed next time.
menassah

Postby dana37 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Haha all spark plugs are the same? Your an idiot whoever said that. The reason he wouldn't put your Bosch plugs in isn't because he was boosting his income, but rather covering his *** for any future problems. All GM vehicles come from the factory with AC Delco plugs, Fords come with Motorcraft plugs, and Dodge come with Champions, as far as American vehicles go. So, as the saying goes about a good running car, "it runs just like the day it was new", for this to be true don't you think you would want factory original parts? Bosch plugs are not as good performance wise as an AC Delco plug in a GM vehicle. So by him not putting the lower grade plugs in, he doesn't have to worry about the plug not working and you coming back on him for it. The only thing you could be upset about is the $60 extra you were charged for the Delcos, since they usually are about $7 a piece and your car would take 6 so $42 isn't quite the same. However, the Delco plugs should last a lot longer so I wouldn't be to mad if I were you.
dana37

Postby aylmer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:51 pm

He conned you. I would have gone elsewhere. It doesn't really matter what brand of plugs you use, as long as they are the right type.

zxc090
aylmer

Return to Buick