Why does my 2001 regal buick gl keep shutting off?

Buick Model Vehicle Information

Postby buach » Fri May 25, 2012 6:43 am

I just got this used car a month ago. Recently its been "jerking" while I'm driving and tonight while I was at a stoplight the rpm meter would go up a few times then it suddenly shut off. It started right back up and there was no check engine light on. I'm tight on money so I want to have an idea of what to ask the mechanic to look for instead of wasting time and money playing the guessing game with them.
buach

Postby knight6 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:46 am

If it starts, its not the battery. You need to be more specific. Most of the time is the carburetor or even the timing belt. try something fast, buy an electric foam cleaner at any auto parts store and spray that on all the electrical wires you see, just not the battery cables. Old cars usually build up dirt and even oil when time passes and it blocks current on the wires. The foam will dry almost instantly and clean perfectly. It will cost about 7 dollars. Just ask for that, an electric parts foam cleaner. Let me know if it helped.
knight6

Postby nathanial » Fri May 25, 2012 6:48 am

If it starts, its not the battery. You need to be more specific. Most of the time is the carburetor or even the timing belt. try something fast, buy an electric foam cleaner at any auto parts store and spray that on all the electrical wires you see, just not the battery cables. Old cars usually build up dirt and even oil when time passes and it blocks current on the wires. The foam will dry almost instantly and clean perfectly. It will cost about 7 dollars. Just ask for that, an electric parts foam cleaner. Let me know if it helped.
it could just be a dirty fuel filter ! change the fuel filter and spray the inside of the throttle body with throttle body cleaner !
nathanial

Postby bradley » Fri May 25, 2012 6:54 am

Might be the timing sensor or even the timing belt
bradley

Postby hagan » Fri May 25, 2012 7:07 am

really need to know what engine size, different engines different symptoms
hagan

Postby klevon49 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:13 am

Could be a defective fuel pressure regulator,Map sensor,MAF sensor.
klevon49

Return to Buick