My check engine light is on. Machine says cylinder 1 and 3 misfire?

Hyundai model vehicle information

Postby stoke35 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:24 pm

2006 hyundai accent. already changed the spark plugs. some people are saying fuel filter, MAF sensor, coils, wires. I need to know what i should do next. The car is running bad, its shaking when idle and even when im driving. The engine light is blinking.
stoke35

Postby ames74 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:27 pm

you could have 2 plug wires cutting out. change the plug wires and see what you have. if you have a coil pack then it could be bad on number 1 and 3 terminals.
ames74

Postby macdaibhidh83 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:34 pm

When they changed the plugs did they change the wires too? Any moisture accumulated, like from a rainy day, can mess up the connections between the sparkplug wires and the coil. It kinda sounds like this is the case.
After 5 years it would be a good time to change them to something better anyway.

I believe the fuel filter is in the tank (if it's anything like my Elantra) and it's one of those parts you don't need to change for a very long time, if ever.

A bad MAF sensor wouldn't cause it to run this poorly, nor would a dirty air control valve or throttle body.

The Accent isn't a $100,000 sports car. It's doesn't call for anything more than regular oil.

I would see if they changed the wires. I got a hunch they didn't.
macdaibhidh83

Postby morcan75 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:35 pm

YOur engine is too new to have a serious problem, BUT the use of regular wax based oils have probably caused you some curable damage here. Your car was MADE to use good synthetic oils, and NOT the junk for quick lube oil change specials. Synthetic oils only need changing once every year, and sometimes longer! You have a dirty IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE and a dirty THROTTLE body. THese things require cleaning because nasty oil vapors have clogged them up. Many times, actual coke appears and glues things together, like brown glue. AMSOIL Foaming Cleaner and Gum-out will clean these things up. THey regulate fuel mixture and idle speed. If they clog up, the computer misreads engine sensors and the fuel burns oo lean or too rich. Lean fuels wil be a misfire, since there is NOT enough fuel to ffire. HOPEFULLY< you went to a seasoned technician. SOmeone who did NOT use American made spark plugs like Champion or Autolite. CHECK IT OUT. Your engine works best with Denso or NGK iridium pligs, or Denso Twin Tip plugs. Hyundai makes EXCELLENT engines that will last a long time. However, NOTHING will help inappropriate maintenance. It will even discount the GREAT factory warrantee!!
morcan75

Postby rhioganedd » Sat May 12, 2012 3:39 pm

By some chance you didn't cross the plugs wires did you?
rhioganedd

Postby connlaoth » Sat May 12, 2012 3:52 pm

That's when you take it to a professional
connlaoth

Return to Hyundai