Why does my car charger port not work?

Lexus model vehicle information

Postby tournour » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 pm

My cell phone will not charge in my 2011 Toyota Avalon. When I plug my new charger into the car and phone, the charger light does not come on. The battery bars on my phone's screen do not move either. When I plug my phone into a family member's car using the same charger, the phone charges perfectly. The charger light comes on and the battery bars move on the screen. My family member's car is a Lexus. Both of the charger ports in my car do not work. What could be wrong with them?
tournour

Postby coiseam » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:24 pm

start with checking the fuse to that outlet. many times a charger uses more than the fuse can handle. if that is the case i am sorry but it will not work in your car as it is wired. i put a second outlet for that purpose in my grand fathers truck. it is used for a gps only and it is powered from the battery directly. i dont rememebr the fuse that i put in there but i have not heard any problems from it since i put it in 4 years ago.,
coiseam

Postby deems » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Could be a bad fuse. Find the fuse panel (usually under the dash to the left -or- on the left of the dash next to the driver door) and locate a fuse that says CIG LTR (cigarette lighter) or AUX PWR (auxillary power). Replacing that fuse should solve your problem.
deems

Postby mayo4 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Because you bought a cheap charger from a gas station that pull more current than the fuse can handle.

now you get to look for burnt fuses AND a better charger.
mayo4

Postby vallois » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Because you bought a cheap charger from a gas station that pull more current than the fuse can handle.

now you get to look for burnt fuses AND a better charger.
Check fusebox for blown fuse
vallois

Return to Lexus