Why does my car make a squeaky noise when i turn the wheel all the way to the left or right?

Lexus model vehicle information

Why does my car make a squeaky noise when i turn the wheel all the way to the left or right?

Postby kentigern » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 am

It only happens when the temperature falls below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Sounds like the belts are slipping pretty bad when it squeaks. It also occurs when I try to turn the wheel in either direction when I'm in park mode. The wheel inside the car makes a humming noise when I turn left or right as well. Now today it was 60 degrees Fahrenheit and there was no squeak or humming noise at all. Car is an 02 Lexus es300 100k miles. What do you think I can do? Will adding some kind of lubricant help? Appreciate your help folks.
kentigern

Postby gildi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 am

You probably need to get power steering flushed, fluid gets old and becomes thicker. Also 100k time for major service. Like timing belt, tune up etc.
gildi

Postby kolichiyaw11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 am

Check your power steering pump fluid to see if it is low. It's best to check it while the engine is cold. It should have a round knob you unscrew and the the knob will have a dip stick made to it. Make sure the level is fill with power steering fluid for that particular car. Some cars can take automatic transmission fluid while others need power steering fluid only. Check your owners manual for the fluid levels and different types of lubricates. It sounds like the fluid level is low. Add as directed. When you turn your wheels all the way to the right or left, there is a lot high pressure going through the lines and the power steering pump. A loose belt, a oily belt or a frayed belt will make a squealing noise. Check the conditions of the belt/belts. Replace if needed. Also an idler or a tension puller bearings could be bad and causing the noise. The power steering pump bearing itself could be going bad. A digital thermometer can be use to check the temperatures of the bearings after shutting down the engine. If any of the components listed above have a bad bearing, replace it before it locks up and burn the belt/belts up and possible cause you have an accident. Good Luck.
kolichiyaw11

Postby elihu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:26 am

check power steer belt
elihu

Postby barrymore75 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:34 am

That sound is actually normal. Once the rack and pinion reaches its limit of travel, trying to force it any farther is putting maximum strain on your power steering pump. Its actually very bad for it. Holding it and making it squeak for more than 3 seconds may damage it.
If this sound is occurring whenever you turn at all, you may just be low on power steering fluid. Get some more.
The 2002 Lexus uses serpentine belts with an auto tensioner. So anybody who told you that you have a loose belt is a moron.
You may need to change a serpentine belt, but these belts last a very long time, just inspect the belts and look for cracks, separation, and feel for smooth spots on the inside. Their incredibly easy to change. Find the auto tensioner and crank it to the left with a socket and ratchet, preferably with a breaker bar. Hold in position and the belt comes off with ease.
barrymore75

Return to Lexus