Car is making a whining noise?

Nissan model vehicle information

Postby donavon » Sat May 19, 2012 12:56 am

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima and when I accelerate to a decent speed I'll hear a squeaking noise( sounds a lot like the Jetsons), and then when i come to a stop, the noise will slowly go away after a minute. It sounds like it's coming from the front driver side of the car. Does anyone know what this could be. I would like to use my warranty at my dealership to get this fixed before it runs out. The dealership wanted to charge me $250 /hr just to investigate and i really want to stick it to them. I already caught them in a lie trying to get me to buy new brake pads and rotors when a friend of mine said i had 30% pads left. But thats besides the point, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find this issue on the recall list but i did run into two people with the same car and the same problem.
donavon

Postby cynhard » Sat May 19, 2012 1:06 am

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima and when I accelerate to a decent speed I'll hear a squeaking noise( sounds a lot like the Jetsons), and then when i come to a stop, the noise will slowly go away after a minute. It sounds like it's coming from the front driver side of the car. Does anyone know what this could be. I would like to use my warranty at my dealership to get this fixed before it runs out. The dealership wanted to charge me $250 /hr just to investigate and i really want to stick it to them. I already caught them in a lie trying to get me to buy new brake pads and rotors when a friend of mine said i had 30% pads left. But thats besides the point, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find this issue on the recall list but i did run into two people with the same car and the same problem.
Considering the dealership suggested the pads and rotors be replaced, and that it is the most likely cause, I would get a second opinion from another friend or jack it up, put jack stands under it for safety (very important!) and check both pads and rotoer smoothness - in front of and behind the rotor - yourself.

Does the noise increase in frequency as speed increases and decrease as speed decreases, potentially in sync with each revolution of the wheel? That tends to be the brake pads and possibly a warped rotor, while if the squeaking doesn't seem to correspond to speed increase or decrease as much, and if it changes based on turning left or right, your CV axle may need replaced. If the sound is even more constant you may have that wheel bearing going out.

When you wrote the noise will slowly go away after a minute do you mean that with the car completely stopped the noise continues and eventually goes away? If so, it seems more likely a squeaky belt or the fan is squeaking and shuts off then the car drops under a certain temperature by idling. If it still squeaks while stopped it should be easier to find as you can just park, get out, pop hood and listen for where it is coming from.

If all else fails, I suggest taking the car somewhere other than the dealership as $250/hr is too high. Odds are it is not the drivetrain so I'm doubting your warranty would cover whichever part is making the noise.
cynhard

Return to Nissan