How many miles should be on a vehicle before using synthetic oil?

Nissan model vehicle information

Postby garlan9 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:16 am

Normally I use synthetif oil in my vehicles but I now have an '07 Nissan 350Z and it's only got 6000 miles on it. I was told that it's not good to run synthetic when your car is too new. Is that true and if so how long should I wait before changing to synthetic?
garlan9

Postby gofried » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 am

If you are good about changing the oil then you don't need synthetic oil.
gofried

Postby glendon79 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:32 am

You can use synthetic whenever you want, mileage has nothing to do with it. There are more myths about synthetic oil than UFOs and Bigfoot.

zxc
glendon79

Postby wallache60 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:35 am

Use synthetic starting on Day One.
wallache60

Postby symington25 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:39 am

Some high-end cars come from the factory with synthetic oil. There really is not a break-in period anymore.
symington25

Postby townly14 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 am

i took new car from dealer to shop and changed with 8 miles on it/that was in 2000 and 2004/beemer is using it in their new cars right from the factory/so who ever tells you that myth is wrong again
townly14

Postby colis16 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:49 am

Use what is recommended in the owners manual. Stay away from the "store brands" like true tech, they are lower quality, and the viscosity brakes down quicker. (oil goes bad, looses cooling and lubrication ability faster) Mobil 1, and royal purple are some of the best oils on the market. Use a good filter too, so it can maximize your oil life.

If you are dead set on synthetic, a common practice is start with some semi synthetic oils. Replace 1-2 quarts of regular oil with semi synthetic per oil change until you are running on full semi synthetic, then repeat the process for full synthetic.
colis16

Postby darry18 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:50 am

Use what is recommended in the owners manual. Stay away from the "store brands" like true tech, they are lower quality, and the viscosity brakes down quicker. (oil goes bad, looses cooling and lubrication ability faster) Mobil 1, and royal purple are some of the best oils on the market. Use a good filter too, so it can maximize your oil life.

If you are dead set on synthetic, a common practice is start with some semi synthetic oils. Replace 1-2 quarts of regular oil with semi synthetic per oil change until you are running on full semi synthetic, then repeat the process for full synthetic.
you can use synthetic oil right away in these new cars and it won't hurt them one bit, a lot of high performance cars today that come from the factory already have synthetic oil in them from the factory.
darry18

Return to Nissan