Marvel mystery oil vs lucas oil additive?

Subaru model vehicle information

Postby germain34 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Which is better and safer, my car has 64,000 miles but i put 20,000 miles on my car a month delivering pizzas 75% city 25% highway, so i figure treating my engines a good idea right now. I bough marvel and im going to add less then a quart of oil each oil change? I chose mystery because its been around but my friend who delivers with me he drives a subaru (i drive a chevy) he says the lucas stuff is great but my dad said marvel.
germain34

Postby twyford » Sun May 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Both brands, have a use, for a issue. Normal summer driving your next oil change. Use 10 40 or 20 50 both help high heat. Will help more than either lucas, or marvel. In the fall go back to what you were using for cold weather.
twyford

Postby lorcan » Sun May 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Neither. Engine oil already contains additives put in by the company. Additives such as Lucas Oil Stabilizer and Marvel Mystery Oil can cause sludge buildup or even cause your oil to foam up. The best thing to do is just use a good quality oil such as Valvoline or Castrol which contains good cleaning and anti-wear agents already.
lorcan

Postby bagwunagijik57 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:53 pm

The key to longevity for any mechanical device (autos included) isn't some potion added to the crankcase, it's simply regular, scheduled maintenance.

Probably the single most important point is regular oil and filter changes.

Following the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual is essential to get the longest life from your vehicle.
bagwunagijik57

Return to Subaru