Replacing Oxygen sensor on 2008 Toyota Avalon?

Toyota model vehicle information

Postby martinez39 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:02 am

I have 2008 Toyota Avalon XL and the check engine light came on. I checked at three different places and the OBD code always comes as Bank 2, Sensor 1 (I think it was P00051 code - will double check again).How much does it cost to replace this sensor (dealer, pep-boys, etc....)? I have been trying to find the part online but I haven't had luck. Also is it DIY job or I should definitely have it replaced at a mechanics shop? After replacing how long I need to continue driving before I am able to pass the emission test? All info will be very helpful. What is causing this sensors to go bad considering I barely have 30,000 miles on the car? THANKS!
martinez39

Postby eldan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:12 am

this i would take to a reputable ASE shop or the dealer.
first,
codes pointing to sensors do not necessarily mean there's a bad sensor. sensors should be tested. checked good, then the components and or **environment** they monitor is in question.
o2 sensors monitor exhaust **environments**. not any one component. many components can create an exhaust condition that is outside the o2 sensor range. the exhaust environment needs to be diagnosed as a whole. not necessarily replacing the o2 sensor.
second,
in this case, it's likely a low volt wire to the sensor, or more likely, a fuel mixture issue associated with that sensor. prolly a leaky injector.
eldan

Postby julien96 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 am

I would believe P0051 [Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 1)]. That almost never means the wideband O2 sensor hearter is bad, rather the power to the sensor is bad. The first source is not very coherent - it talks of the resistance being low and being below 0.8A, which is a measure of current that increases with low resistance.
julien96

Return to Toyota