Will a crankshaft sensor stop my car firing?

Vauxhall model vehicle information

Postby fitch » Fri May 11, 2012 10:21 pm

its a 2004 1.7 CDTI Vauxhall Astra estate LS, the problem I've had with it is that once the engine warms up it wont start again until its cooled down, I have taken it to the garage that the dealers use, I find my faith somewhat lacking in there mechanical ability.
fitch

Postby edmyg16 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Find another shop .. Yes it will cause it not to fire but a couple of other things can cause this as well...
edmyg16

Postby lise80 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Find another shop .. Yes it will cause it not to fire but a couple of other things can cause this as well...
Yes, the computer needs crank and cam sensor inputs for timing information to start the engine. So a technician tests and finds you have no ignition spark. Then he back tracks through the ignition coils and ignition module to see if the computer is telling the ignition module to fire the spark plugs or not. You may need a second opinion from another qualified shop. Dealer test equipment may locate the problem sooner, especially since they've seen the same problem more often and have your technical service bulletins etc. The problem is that it's intermittent!
lise80

Postby renzo20 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Yes, the computer needs crank and cam sensor inputs for timing information to start the engine. So a technician tests and finds you have no ignition spark. Then he back tracks through the ignition coils and ignition module to see if the computer is telling the ignition module to fire the spark plugs or not. You may need a second opinion from another qualified shop. Dealer test equipment may locate the problem sooner, especially since they've seen the same problem more often and have your technical service bulletins etc. The problem is that it's intermittent!
it can but other things can too. you say it won,t start after it gets hot but it will start up after it cools down? that sounds like the coil or starter getting too hot.
renzo20

Postby reymond90 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:40 pm

it could, your best bet is to get a scan tool and check for codes that will confirm the problem.
reymond90

Return to Vauxhall